Vegan pumpkin pasta sauce with wild mushrooms is an easy and healthy recipe filled with the flavours of autumn. An easy 4-ingredient pumpkin sauce tossed with pasta and topped with sautéed mushrooms, garlic and herbs will give you a filling and delicious 30-minute dinner for a chilly fall evening.
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 2 cups pumpkin puree, fresh or canned
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 3 cloves of garlic, one whole and two minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 250 grams (9 oz) of mixed mushrooms
- 2 shallots, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- A pinch of salt and pepper
- 250 grams (9 oz) of pasta, any variety you like
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Soak the cashews in hot water for 15 minutes until soft. Blend the cashews, pumpkin puree, vegetable stock, one whole clove of garlic and salt in a blender until smooth and creamy.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Start with the larger varieties of mushroom. Spread them in a single layer in the pan and fry, without stirring, until golden brown – about 2 minutes. Stir and continue frying until golden on the other side. Remove to a plate and continue with the smaller varieties of mushroom. Remove to the plate with the other mushrooms then quickly fry the shallots, 2 minced cloves of garlic and thyme until soft and transparent. Combine with the fried mushrooms and sprinkle over some salt and pepper.
- Toss the pasta with the pumpkin sauce and fried mushrooms, reserving some mushrooms to decorate the top. Sprinkle over some fresh chopped parsley.